Homeless Education/McKinney Vento
Homeless children and youth reside in every county in Washington State. In an effort to ensure the educational success of all students, school districts are required to identify and serve children and youths living in homeless situations per the federal McKinney-Vento law.
Homeless Students: Enrollment Rights and Services (School Board Policy 3115)
If your family lives in any of the following situations:
Temporarily living with another family because of a current emergency or crisis
Living in a motel / hotel
Living in a vehicle of any kind, RV park, or campground
Living in a building without heat, water, and / or electricity
Living in an emergency or transitional shelter
Or you are a student living with an adult who is not your parent or guardian, or you live alone without an adult
Your school-age children may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.
Your eligible children have the right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
- Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference and is feasible.
- If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children’s needs.
If you believe your children may be eligible, contact the local liaison to find out what services and supports may be available:
There also may be supports available for your preschool-age children.
Homeless Education Forms and Information for Staff
Please log in to the Staff Portal for McKinney-Vento resources for staff.